MCTC

The MCTC News Blog

Jesse Mason Named Minnesota Minority Education Partnership Policy Fellow

Posted on: July 21st, 2010 by insidemctc 2 Comments

The Minnesota Minority Education Partnership (MMEP) recently named Jesse L. Mason, Jr., PhD an MMEP Policy Fellow. Dr. Mason is a member of the psychology faculty at MCTC and an adjunct faculty member at St. Catherine University. Dr. Mason will assist in the data collection, policy analysis, research and writing of the “State of African American Males in Education in Minnesota” policy brief.

He has also taught at Inver Hills Community College, Anoka-Ramsey Community College and the University of Minnesota. Health disparities among African Americans have been a core focus of his research and past speaking engagements. Mason has presented in Minnesota, Illinois, New York and Washington D.C. Mason graduated from Morris Brown College with a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology. He received his PhD in cognitive and biological psychology from the University of Minnesota.

Carlos Mariani, executive director, commented, “MMEP is pleased to work with Dr. Jesse Mason in developing a policy brief on the state of education success with Minnesota’s African American men. We are profoundly concerned that our failed delivery of K-12 education to this community of learners is resulting in bypassing the deep potential existing among this community of learners. We plan to describe the realities of African American males from an assets perspective as opposed to the pervasive ‘deficits’ models used by many in the past and that has reinforced negative stereotypes of young Black men.”

Dr. Mason’s work is supported in part thanks to financial support from General Mills Foundation’s Communities of Color fund.

Minnesota Minority Education Partnership, Inc., is a nonprofit collaborative, founded in 1987, that seeks to increase the success of Students of Color and American Indian Students in Minnesota schools, colleges, and universities.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: , , ,

2 Responses

1. Abiti Alemo says:

I am so proud to hear this good news about Dr. Mason. I sometimes call him Dr. Luther King. He is such an inspiring person. He was my professor at MCTC and I am very much happy to learn that he decided to do these great task of life saving responsibilites.
    I will be with him in all I can with all I have to help him keep persevere.
    Thanks alot.

2. Abiti Alemo says:

Thanks alot.