MCTC

The MCTC News Blog

MCTC’s DECA club partners with Twin Cities Rise

Posted on: December 13th, 2012 by insidemctc 2 Comments

DECA logoDECA, a student-led business club at MCTC, partnered with the local non-profit Twin Cities Rise (TCR) in an all-day mock interview event held at TCR’s Minneapolis location on December 4, 2012. 

TCR helps the chronically unemployed seek promising job opportunities. It places program participants in positions that pay at least $20,000 annually, provide benefits and offer potential for advancement. Prior to job placement, TCR provides training in interviewing skills to help prepare applicants for the workforce. Typically, TCR uses human resource professionals from its corporate partners–many of which are Fortune 500 companies–to conduct the interviews. The partnership of DECA and TCR was a natural fit, as both groups focus on professionalism, career development and confidence building. “I learned a lot from teaming with the human resources professionals. I saw firsthand how they approach interviews and what they look for in candidates” said DECA president Matt Hatle. 

DECA members teamed up with TCR’s corporate partners to conduct 20 mock interviews of TCR’s participants. After the sessions, interviewers met with participants to offer feedback and tips to better their interview practices. “Roleplaying the interviewer really helped raise my awareness of what I should be focusing on when I’m interviewing” said DECA member Errol Ilbuga. 

“It felt good helping people who had faced some adversity in life develop a real job skill. I interviewed a disabled veteran, candidates with felonies and single mothers with several children,” said DECA member Nada Elsewehy. 

MCTC’s DECA club competes in business competitions around the country, builds campus life and volunteers in the community. DECA meets weekly in MCTC’s Helland Center, and welcomes new members from all majors. If you have questions, please contact the club’s advisor, Jason L. Cussler at jason.cussler@minneapolis.edu.

2 Responses

1. Mai Nou Lee says:

Hello,

I would love to join the club, what do I need to do to be able to join the club? Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Mai Lee