You are invited to join us for three amazing events at MCTC on April 8! Activities start at 10 a.m. and wrap up at 7 p.m. There’s something for everyone at MCTC on this action-packed day!
- Open House, 5–7 p.m., T Plaza and 2nd floor
- STEM Fair, 10 a.m.–7 p.m., T Plaza
- Skills Rodeo, 5–7 p.m., T Skyway
Open House, 5–7 p.m., T Plaza and 2nd floor
Whether exploring what the College has to offer, choosing your major or finding clubs that spark your interest, the Open House is for you! Invite your friends and family, stay for the other exciting events and be sure to pre-register! More information and registration are available here.
STEM Fair, 10 a.m.–7 p.m., T Plaza
Celebrate Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) programs, clubs and activities! At the STEM Fair you can:
- Light your way through a cave lined with prehistoric cave paintings from across the world
- Explore the Exploradome and its two distinct programs: a tour across the universe and a trip through the heart
- Meet MCTC Engineering students and learn about their projects with a high altitude balloon, helicopters, a flight simulator and a drone
- See MCTC student research projects previously highlighted at the state Capitol
- Explore Biotechnology and other science demonstrations, hands-on activities and a human evolution display
- Attend a presentation by Princeton University Molecular Biology professor Dr. Bonnie Bassler about how bacteria talk to one another
- Watch the work of flesh-eating beetles, learn about animal decomposition and familiarize yourself with the flora of Loring Park
- Learn more about MCTC’s STEM programs and student clubs!
Skills Rodeo, 5–7 p.m., T Skyway
Students from five career and technical programs will compete against one another in a chance to demonstrate their skills and vie for $2,500 in scholarships!
- Photography: PHDI (Photography and Digital Imaging) participants will be asked to photograph portraits in front of a bright window. Students will have to balance studio lights with background light in order to create a mixed-light portrait.
- Sound Arts: Sound Arts students will compete in a 10-minute sound frequency identification accuracy test involving music, frequency bands and filtering.
- Barbering: Two Barbering students will compete by demonstrating their skills on live models in barber chairs, creating specific and specialized haircuts based on Minnesota State Barber Licensing exams. They will also present the logos they created for their proposed barber or hair salon business plans.
- Culinary Arts: Culinary Arts student chefs will compete by creating the same dish which will be judged by a panel. The student with the highest score wins the scholarship, and the audience will be able to judge for themselves and eat the work of the competitors!
- Welding: Welding students will compete at stations in the T Building welding labs to create specific challenging and sculptural welding projects within a limited time frame. A live video feed of the competition will be streamed to the T Skyway.
DJ music will be provided by students in The Sound Society student club.
Please join us for any of these amazing events April 8!Tags: barbering, career and technical education, Culinary, engineering, exploradome, math, open house, photography, science, Sound Arts, STEM, technology, welding