MCTC

The MCTC News Blog

The Empowering Potential of Tutoring: Vince’s Story

Posted on: April 22nd, 2014 by insidemctc No Comments

Vince Collura, MCTC tutor“I came to Minneapolis on a whim. At that time, I was cynical about the value of school and careers.”

Not every college success story starts out like Vince Collura’s. Then again, not every student has the same educational transition Vince did.

Vince left high school before graduation, hopped a train in Milwaukee and wound up in Minneapolis in 2008. “I wanted to live in community with my friends, to see live music and to be a part of that music community,” said Vince. But life as a musician isn’t an easy—or consistent—one, as he learned. “I was working part-time at jobs I didn’t care about. Paying the bills to fund my bohemian lifestyle became monotonous. I started at MCTC in 2010 with the goal of being a high school English teacher.”

Shortly after coming to MCTC, Vince got involved with the Learning Center, and eventually became a tutor. “When I started, I was skeptical about the institution of education, and pessimistic that careers or school in general could give someone a satisfying life. However, many of my critiques about education and the way I was educated were resolved by working at the Learning Center,” said Vince. “I’ve found the pedagogy of tutoring to be very student-oriented. Trust is important, and seeking tutoring is always voluntary.”

Vince engages students in Socratic dialogue at the Learning Center, and works with them to gauge how they learn. “I work with students who may not speak English as their first language and are working with grammar and idioms, and I also work with math and science wizards who struggle to see the forest through the trees.” Regardless of the struggles a student may be having, the process of learning and collaborating proved to be an enlightening experience for Vince. “I’m driven by the knowledge that critical, creative thinking can be taught, and these are skills that can be learned and transferred.”

What does the future hold for a once-cynical tutor? “My peers at the Learning Center kept iterating that I was going to graduate school,” said Vince. “That was the first time I really considered it. Now I’ve decided I want to teach college.” Vince plans to transfer to the University of Minnesota next year and develop his own course of study that will lead him to his goals. “It’s a little overwhelming to look ahead to a bachelor’s degree and Ph.D while still working on an associate degree, but I’m trying to take it a little at a time.”

Vince is taking a hiatus from his previous life as a musician, but he doesn’t see this shift as an absence in his life. “Right now I’m focusing on putting my creative energy toward knowledge production,” he said. “I’m not writing music so much anymore; I’m writing words instead. When you learn to interrogate your society with the motive of improving it, you inherently create a better world.”

Tags: ,